Hello people out there in the world who will be celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving. It’s happening this weekend. Are you nervous about all the food you’re going to eat? I know myself pretty well and it turns out I don’t have much will power if food is in front of me. I’ll hope in my head that I keep things to a minimum, but usually go overboard. If you ever see me at a party, I’m pretty much always near the food. This is one of the reasons I have created this site. EAT MORE VEG, SWEAT and don’t forget to BREATHE because it’s my daily reminder of how to be healthy. I always visualize these three boxes above my head and pat myself on the back if by the end of the day there is a check mark in all three boxes. I make sure I ATE MORE VEG (check), I SWEAT (check), and I made some time to BREATHE deep (check). Then I can officially say I rocked life that day.
Here are some possible categories of eating habits you may possess and if you do, a great pumpkin smoothie recipe follows that works for any type of eater.
- Very strict with your diet and holidays don’t even phase you or knock you off your habits.
- Have no will power whatsoever and do not go a day without eating junk.
- Are mainly healthy and follow the 80/20 rule (80% healthy and 20% enjoy life) (my personal favorite)
- Label yourself by a diet plan (Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, Fruitarian, Pescatarian, Gluten-Free, Allergy Free) and need to be strict or shit hits the fan.
- Label yourself by a diet plan (Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, Fruitarian, Pescatarian, Gluten-Free, Allergy Free) and cheat like a bad ass.
- Binge eater/Emotional eater
If you are dreading this weekend because you love pumpkin pie just as much as I do (my absolute favorite especially with whipped cream), then here is something you can serve your guests for dessert instead of pie. I am totally serious about this.
This smoothie recipe is from the Super Fresh cookbook. One of the newer books by Fresh restaurants. It’s awesome!
Sip this puppy after that heavy (or not heavy if you’re a superstar) meal instead of the regular pumpkin pie and be just as satisfied. Then you can check that EAT MORE VEG box that floats on top of your head. Please don’t razz on me that pumpkin is technically a fruit because it is and that’s okay because this whole EAT MORE VEG thing really just means, EAT MORE PLANTS and stop eating so much white, sugary, beige, packaged processed crap.
Some quick tips for the weekend.
- Fill your plate with mostly VEG (this doesn’t include white potatoes).
- Make sure you eat protein at every meal (eggs, good quality meat, nuts, seeds, lentils, beans) to help keep you full longer
- Use good fats such as avocados, coconut oil, nuts and seeds in your dishes
- Look for the food that comes from the ground or a tree instead of the food that comes out of a box or bag
- Drink a lot of water
- If you eat a big Thanksgiving meal around 2-4pm and need a later meal – keep it to some fruit and/or a handful of nuts
- Continue to SWEAT every day (one day off a week is fine)
- Continue to find a way to be mindful (BREATHE deep for a few minutes) every day
No matter what type of eater you are, please have a Happy Thanksgiving and don’t freak out if you eat a bit too much. If you do, get back on track Tuesday with a little EAT MORE VEG, SWEAT and BREATHE. Check those boxes and rock your life!